Yunnan 2019 FAQ!
View this post on Instagram
Just a week ago, we came back from a long adventure from Yunnan, China! . We started of at the quaint city of Lijiang, before beginning our first trek to Tiger leaping gorge. That was followed by a visit to Shangri la and feilashi, before starting the second trek to Yubeng village. We were greeted and surrounded by the Meili snow mountains for most parts of the trek. 🗻 Some of the main attractions included the ice lake as well as the sacred yubeng waterfall~ ❄ We then ended off our adventures by further exploring Lijiang as well as Kunming. A huge thanks to everyone who made this trip that much more colourful with your memories and photos~🌈👣🍃
When is the trip?
- This is a 13 days trip from 29/05/19 to 10/06/19. We will be meeting at Changi Airport on 29/05/19 at 0030HRS, and arriving back in Singapore on 10/06/19 at around 2230HRS.
Where are we going?
Some of the awesome places that we are visiting include:
- Tiger Leaping Gorge (Trekking)
- Yubeng (Trekking)
- After trekking for two days in Tiger Leaping Gorge we will head to Shangri-La where we will be visiting Songzanlin Monastery, which is the largest Tibetan monastery in Yunnan.
- On the way to Feilaisi, we will get to see the Jingsha River and the Baiman Snow Mountain.
- During the Yubeng trek itself, we will be going to Upper Yubeng and trek to a WW2 historical base camp and visit the ice lake nearby before going down to Lower Yubeng. During the lower Yubeng trek, we will be visiting a Sacred Waterfall.
- Finally when we depart from Yubeng village, we will trek along Mekong river towards Ninong Village and drive back to Feilaisi. Before heading back to Lijiang, we will enjoy the beautiful sunrise of Meili Snow Mountain.
- R&Rs will mainly be in Lijiang and Kunming.
Will the trek be difficult?
- The difficulty level of this trek will be 3.5/5 as we will be trekking in Yubeng which is said to be quite difficult as it consists of high elevation, long walking duration and distances. We strongly urge that you have a basic level of physical conditioning and fitness!
- The difficulty level of the trip really depends on your own fitness level so make sure you are well conditioned and prepared for the trek:)
How much is this trip? What does it include?
- This trip will cost $1250 for Rovers Members and $1300 for non-members. (Learn more about membership here if you would like to sign up!)
- The price includes airfares, local transports, accommodations, trekking guides & permits.
** Do note that not all meals are included.
What is not included?
- VISA – Some of you might need to apply for a visa to enter China.
- Travel Insurance – NUS provides minimal insurance coverage for NUS students ONLY. Hence, NUS students with pre-existing medical conditions are advised to purchase their own travel insurance for more coverage if they require it. Non-NUS Students are responsible for getting their own travel insurance
- You might want to consider getting a vaccination for childhood diseases (Tetanus and Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps and Rubella) as well as cover against food and water borne diseases, including Typhoid and Hepatitis A
- Anything else that are not mentioned in the itinerary such as food, shopping expenses, tipping for the guides and transport during R&R.
What is the brief itinerary?
- Day 1(29/05/2019): Flight from Singapore to Kunming, transit at Guangzhou. Overnight train from Kunming to Lijiang.
- Day 2(30/05/2019): Arrive in Lijiang, head to Accommodation. Acclimatise and rest.
- Day 3(31/05/2019): Pick up by driver, commence Tiger Leaping gorge trek. Dinner and accoms at Tea Horse Guest house.
- Day 4(01/06/2019): Continue Trek to Halfway guest house, then to Tina Guest house for lunch. Drive to Shangri-La. Dinner and Accoms at Shangri-La Salong Hotel.
- Day 5(02/06/2019): Drive to Deqin, R&R. Drive to Feilaisi. Accoms at Mingzhu hotel.
- Day 6(03/06/2019): Commence Upper Yubeng trek. Accoms at XueYuZangBaLe guest house.
- Day 7(04/06/2019): Trek to base camp. Trek to Ice Lake. Trek to Lower Yubeng. Accoms at Shengpu Guesthouse.
- Day 8(05/06/2019): Trek to Sacred waterfall. Trek back to lower Yubeng. Accoms at Shengpu Guesthouse.
- Day 9(06/06/2019): Trek along Mekong River to Ninong village. Drive from Yubeng to Feilaisi. Accoms at Mingzhu hotel.
- Day 10(07/06/2019): Enjoy sunrise in the mountains. Drive back to Lijiang.
- Day 11(08/06/2019): R&R at Lijiang. Overnight train to Kunming.
- Day 12(09/06/2019): R&R at Kunming.
- Day 13(10/06/2019): Flight from Kunming to Singapore, transit at Guangzhou.
Where will we spend the nights?
- 2 nights on train (To and Fro – Kunming and Lijiang)
- 4 nights in local guesthouse
- 3 nights in hotel
- 3 nights in hostel
How’s the weather like?
- Tiger Leaping Gorge: High/Low, 22°C /10°C
- Yubeng: High/Low, 18°C /10°C
- Lijiang: High/Low, 24°C /14°C
- Kunming: High/Low, 24°C /17°C
Will there be a local guide?
- Yes, there will be English speaking Chinese local trek guides with us!
How many participants will be on this trek?
- You will be travelling with 9 other participants and 5 committee members. There are only 10 slots for this trek. Slots are limited, so sign up NOW!
How is this trek different from the others?
Apart from the scenic canyon (Tiger Leaping gorge), Yubeng village is definitely a trek in China you have to go! It is a village hidden within the mountains of Yunnan and Yubeng is surrounded with beautiful sceneries, like the Meili snow mountain, the ice lake, sacred waterfall, etc.
What is more valuable about this trek is the interactions we can have with the local Tibetan villagers and to come to know about the Tibetan culture. The hike at Yubeng is also not an easy feat, hence come along if you want to step out of your comfort zone and to conquer this hike together with new friends!
How do I find out more information?
Contact us at email@example.com for any queries.
Brought to you by:
Vice Safety Officer
Vice Project Director