When is the trip?
It will be a 10D9N trip from 2nd January 2020 to 11st January 2020.
Where are we going?
We will be visiting 3 places! The highlight of the trip is the 3D2N trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake, where you will encounter vast tea plantations and indigenous people in the mountainous Shan State of Myanmar. At the end of the trek, we will take a relaxing boat tour at the picturesque Inle Lake, to experience extraordinary views and floating boat houses. Then we will head off to Bagan, an UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is also the largest archaeological site in the world! Finally, we will spend a day in Myanmar’s metropolis, Yangon, before flying home.
Will the trek be difficult?
This trek is beginner friendly! We rate it 2.5/5. Most of the terrains have gentle slopes, with a few ups and downs occasionally. Still, we suggest maintaining a reasonable fitness level for the best experience 🙂
How much is this trip? What does it include?
It will cost $850 for NUS Rovers members, and $895 for non-members. It includes return flights, accommodation, guided trek, entrance fees and local transportation (taxi). Except for meals during the guided trek, no other meals are included in the cost.
What is not included?
- VISA: Please check if you would need a VISA to enter Myanmar.
- Travel Insurance: NUS provides minimal insurance coverage for NUS students ONLY. Hence, NUS students with pre-existing medical conditions are advised to purchase their own travel insurance for more coverage if they require it. Non-NUS Students are responsible for getting their own travel insurance.
- Vaccinations: You might want to consider getting a vaccination for childhood diseases (Tetanus and Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps and Rubella) as well as cover against food and water borne diseases, including Typhoid and Hepatitis A. Visit your doctor if you’re unsure about any of this.
- Personal expenses: Anything else not mentioned in the itinerary such as food, shopping expenses, tipping for the guides, and transport during R&R.
What is the brief itinerary?
Day 1 (02/01/20): Flight from Singapore to Yangon, overnight bus from Yangon to Kalaw
Day 2 (03/01/20): Arrive at Kalaw, head to accommodation, rest
Day 3 (04/01/20): Start trek to Taung Lar, accommodation at homestay.
Day 4 (05/01/20): Continue trek to Pat Tu Pauk, accommodation at homestay
Day 5 (06/01/20): End trek at Inle Lake, arrive at Nyaung Shwe and check in at Ostello Bello Hostel
Day 6 (07/01/20): RnR in Inle Lake, travel to Bagan on overnight bus
Day 7 (08/01/20): Arrive at Bagan, head to accommodation and RnR
Day 8 (09/10/20): RnR in Bagan, overnight bus to Yangon
Day 9 (10/01/20): RnR in Yangon.
Day 10 (11/01/20): Flight from Yangon to Bagan.
Where will we spend the nights?
We will be spending:
- 4 nights in hostels
- 2 nights in local village home stays whilst on the trek
- 3 nights on overnight buses
Will there be a local guide?
Yes, we will trek with an English-speaking guide from Kalaw to Inle Lake.
How many participants will be on this trek?
You will be a part of 16 team members, consisting of 12 participants and 4 committee members.
Things to note before joining this trip.
- We recommend that you pack light – we will be travelling around a lot and spending nights at different places. If possible, bring along a backpack and duffel bag instead of luggage! (preferably bring a bigger bag and then a smaller backpack for the 3D2N trek)
- The second night of the trip will require that participants on the trip share beds with another person. For all the other nights, participants will be allocated a single bed.
- We will be spending 3 nights on overnight buses. Do understand that Myanmar’s transport system is not as developed so this is the most efficient and cost-saving way to get around the main cities.
- From Yangon to Kalaw
- From Inle Lake to Bagan
- From Bagan to Yangon
How’s the weather like?
Temperatures in Myanmar experience great fluctuations especially in the mountainous regions (i.e Kalaw, Inle Lake) which we will be visiting. So do remember to bring warm clothes as it will be relatively colder in the morning and nights.
Weather (history average – highest / lowest)
- Yangon : 32°C / 18°C
- Kalaw : 30°C / 14°C
- Inle Lake : 23°C / 7°C
- Bagan : 26°C / 15°C
How do I find out more information?
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you on our trip 🙂
Sign ups are closed, thank you for your participation!
Brought to you by: